The Iona University Chapter of the AAUP was formed on October 27, 2017.
Since its foundation in 1915, the AAUP has helped to shape American higher education by developing the standards and procedures that maintain quality in education and academic freedom in this country’s colleges and universities. The AAUP defines fundamental professional values and standards for higher education, advances the rights of academics, particularly as those rights pertain to academic freedom and shared governance, and promotes the interests of higher education teaching and research.
The following faculty members serve on the Iona University Chapter Executive Committee:
- Rachana Umashankar, President (Chair, Religious Studies)
- Josh Klein, Vice President (Associate Professor, Criminal Justice & Sociology; Member, Faculty Senate)
- Ric Winslow, Treasurer (Professor Emeritus, English)
- Galen Barry, Secretary (Assistant Professor, Philosophy; Member, Faculty Senate)
- Dot Brophy, Member at Large (Adjunct Professor, English; Member, Faculty Senate)
- Amanda Howerton-Fox, Member at Large (Chair, Education; Member, Faculty Senate)
- Tony Kelso, Member at Large & Founding President (Chair, Media & Strategic Communication; Member, Faculty Senate)
- Nilofer Naqvi, Member at Large (Associate Professor, Psychology)